loading page

Challenges in the management of Wilms Tumor in a developing country: A twenty years experience from a single centre in Pakistan.
  • Muhammad Khan,
  • Ata Maaz,
  • Muhammad Ashraf
Muhammad Khan
King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Madinah
Author Profile
Ata Maaz
Sidra Medical and Research Center
Author Profile
Muhammad Ashraf
The Indus Hospital
Author Profile

Abstract

Background: Wilms Tumour (WT) is one of the most curable childhood cancers. High cure rates seen in the high-income countries are not duplicated in low and middle-income countries due to several constraints. We reviewed our data over the last 20 years in order to highlight some of these challenges. Methods: This is a retrospective review of medical notes of children with WT under the age of 18 years presenting to our institution between 1 November 1997 and 30 November 2017. Demographic, presentation and treatment details were recorded and factors associated with poor outcome were analysed. Results: Of the 211 children presenting with WT 117(55.5%) were males. Median age at presentation was 3 (Range 0-18) years. One hundred and twelve (53.7%) of these presented without any prior treatment, while 72 (34.1%) presented after tumour excision. Metastatic status was available for 178 patients; 117 (68%) had localised tumours, 36(21.8%) had metastatic disease and 25(11.9%) presented with recurrent mass. Thirty-nine (18.4%) patients refused treatment and 6(2.8%) died before starting treatment. During treatment, 23(13.4%) children died and 21(12.2%) abandoned. Only 99 patients finished treatment, 83 (83.8%) of whom are well off therapy and 15 (15.2%) have relapsed. Six (40%) of the 15 children who relapsed are alive after salvage therapy, while the remaining 9 (60%) have died. Conclusions: Our data highlights the challenges of managing WT in resource poor environments. Prior surgery, incomplete staging work-up and abandonment are some of the most frequently encountered barriers. A multipronged approach is required to overcome these challenges.

Peer review status:UNDER REVIEW

23 May 2021Assigned to Editor
23 May 2021Submission Checks Completed
23 May 2021Submitted to Pediatric Blood & Cancer
26 May 2021Reviewer(s) Assigned